Monday, March 25, 2013

If April showers bring may flowers, what does snow in March bring?


Being from Michigan, I am used to all sorts of crazy weather. However, when I woke up to a fresh layer or snow this morning... just 6 days from April, I was displeased. The house was freezing and I was hungry. It was not a good mix.

Also, I was craving pancakes.

To the kitchen! I whipped up a delicious batch of pancakes which not only cured the hunger but also helped with the warmth situation because I was busy and working around heat. After that I began to plan dinner. What is perfect for a cold, gloomy day? A nice big pot of chili!



There is just something about the smell of chili cooking in the crock pot, that goes really well with a cold winters SPRING day. Our recipe really has no exact measurements and changes every time but it has the same basic framework.

You will need:
1/2 lb of ground beef/turkey mixture browned (Obviously you can use all beef, all turkey, or no meat at all.)
1/2 a can of corn.
Some pieces of celery, cut thin.
A small onion, chopped.
A large teaspoon of garlic
Chilli powder, garlic powder, any powders you like really...
2 cans of diced tomatoes
2 cans of beans. We prefer one kidney and one "chili beans" or black beans.
Some pepper or whatever seasonings you like.
And if you're my boyfriend then a big ol' bottle of hot sauce, but I prefer to leave that one out.

Saute the celery, onions and garlic to "sweat" them. (or have them run a mile, your choice.) Once they start becoming translucent, they're done.

Toss it all in to the crock pot and let it cook together for about six hours.

We will be enjoying our chili with freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, crackers and hot rolls.

What is your favorite dish on cold and gloomy days? Or a favorite crock pot recipe??  


1 comment:

  1. seems no one wants to leave a comment, so I will.
    Interesting topics you pick. At least you are keeping your mind sharp for when you return to school. Keep up the good work.

    Do you comment on political issues? maybe we can debate some current topics

    ReplyDelete