Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Celebrate, Remember, Fight Back.


Its that time of year again. A time where I spend lots of time, working with an amazing group of people to find a cure. A cure to what you ask.... cancer.

This will be my fifth year participating in Relay for Life of Dearborn.

What is Relay for Life??
In the simplest of terms it is a walk to raise money for the American Cancer Society, but in reality it is so much more than that.  The event itself is a 24-hour function where the community comes together to walk, purchase, educate, and celebrate people who have been touched by this awful disease. There is a time for celebrate, where survivors are recognized and walk the opening lap as a crowd gathers to cheer them on. There is a time to remember those who have lost their battle, for families to share stories, and for everyone to shed a tear.  Through out the whole event, everyone is fighting back. Groups will offer products for purchase, or food, or sweet treats. Want a ride on a magic carpet? You can probably get that too. It is a day of emotions and a night full of bonfires, karaoke and hopefully not rain like the last few years. It is a day I look forward to every year. But Relay for Life is so much more than that. It is weeks and months of preparation to make sure that one day turns out perfect. It is hours of fundraising and brainstorming and doing anything possible to make a few dollars to help not only find a cure, but also assist cancer patients with therapies and counseling and also rides to appointments. American Cancer Society does it all, and for them I relay.

Every year I pick someone that I say I am relaying for it. In years past it has been friends, friends of friends, acquaintances... I've always been that person saying I am very fortunate to not know anyone close to me with cancer. This year it is a different story.

The good news is, the person I relay for this year is a survivor. Her fight began after last year's relay and she has already come out on the other side. She went through chemotherapy and radiation.. the works. She may of lost her hair, but she never lost her smile.


This amazing women is Sharon McIntosh, my boyfriend Nick's mother. Most of you would agree that when you are dating the same person for multiple years, you pretty much gain two sets of parents. That being said she is more than just "my boyfriend Nick's mom," but she is another mother figure to me and she is who I relay for this year.

After seeing the way she fought her breast cancer and seeing the positive attitude she had throughout, I know that there is hope - for everyone. I know that anyone and everyone has a chance at overcoming cancer, as long as it is caught early enough and you never lose hope. Hope is the light at the end of the tunnel.

So like I say every year... I am relaying because I don't want my family and friends to have to go through what many have gone through. I don't want to see families torn apart by the awful disease, anymore. I want a cure and I won't stop fighting until a cure is found. Let's finish this fight.

I am Cailee Drzinski and I am a relayer.

To visit my RFL page please visit ... My Personal Page (Click here!)
Consider leaving a dollar or two.. and you too can be part of finding a cure.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment