Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Closed for Business.


Tonight as I was going through the photos on my computer, I stumbled across some photos that made me seriously miss the summer, seriously miss Traverse City and seriously miss this place...

  

I know what you're thinking... old, run down buildings? Why would I miss those? To me, these buildings are so so much more. You see, these buildings are full of rich history, stories that are unimaginable and lots of hidden treasures. These buildings are part of the Northern Michigan Asylum or Traverse City State Hospital.

Its been more than 10 years since my family and I came across the eerie turrets. Every year we take a family vacation to Traverse City. One night, during a routine trip to Meijers, we noticed turrets above the tree-line, not too far away. We drove in that direction and found ourselves in the middle of a run-down complex of buildings. At the time, we had no idea where we were or what these building once held. The one thing we did know.... it wasn't a happy place.

When we first found it, it appeared to be completely abandoned. There were broken windows and lots of graffiti. It looked as if one day everyone just left... leaving everything right where it was. There were wheelchairs on porches, chairs outside, windows left open - it was a scene unimaginable.



Since finding "The Asylum," as we tend to refer to it as, we have done lots of research and digging about it. There are many books written about the hospital, such as Angels in the Architecture and Traverse City State Hospital. We have bought most of them and read them cover to cover, several times.

I'll give you some basic history but there is so much I can't even begin to share with you.

Northern Michigan Asylum, which opened in 1885, was known during most of its years as Traverse City State Hospital. Traverse City State Hospital served the mental health needs of a large part of Michigan for 104 years until its closure in 1989, housing a population as large as 3,000 in its many buildings. Twelve housing cottages and two infirmaries were built between 1887 and 1903 to meet the specific needs of male and female patients. All of the cottages except the northernmost are still standing.     -Wikipedia.

The first time we visited the asylum, we were cautious. We were careful and unsure and did not know the stories. The second time, the following year, we knew more and explored more. We took photos but still kept our space, taking most photos from the car or the side walks. In the years since renovation has begun to preserve some of the buildings. Others are still left untouched. We have more confidence in these beautiful buildings are have taken photos on porches, in windows, on steps and virtually all over.

     

It has been at least 10 years since we first came across one of my favorite places on earth. Now it is a very different place. One of the largest buildings, Building 50, is home to apartments and lofts, a coffee shop, a wine shop, one of my favorite stores in Northern Michigan - High Five Threads!, an Italian restaurant and an art gallery - just to mention a few!  The buildings have been restored and are absolutely beautiful.

This photo shows the contrast of new and old, as the buildings were under renovation.


I have taken hundreds and probably thousands of photos here and would love to share them all. I have attached a link to my Flickr, where these images can all be seen. I have won photography contests with some of these images and have them displayed in my bedroom. I have no problem telling everyone that those buildings were once home to all sorts of people, struggling with all sorts of conditions and diseases. I am proud to show these beautiful buildings off, and happy to say this is one of my favorite places on earth. 


       


If you're ever in the Traverse City area, try to stop by this historic place. If you're there at the right time they are even doing tours of some of the buildings and the underground tunnels! Think you can handle that? 


2 comments:

  1. I love this place too. I became fascinated with it as a young child. I love what the developers have done and, especially, the bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! I've never been, but after reading your blog I do think it is somewhere that I would enjoy taking a visit to! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete