Sunday, May 19, 2013

Lettered for Life


I was looking through my blog and realized that my "crafty" section only has one post. This is shocking to me as I do LOTS of crafty projects and apparently I just don't blog about them...  So I am going to do one large posts of all the crafty projects I have done right before or during Spring Term. All of them are sorority related and most of them include letters. They are all of the things that people always ask me "did you make those yourself??" and I always proudly answer yes. I don't like to buy things when I can make them just as easily and customize them as much as I want.

The first project I wanted to share are bows. I have made bows two different ways with two different outcomes. They look slightly different but both are equally cute! It is just your opinion of which style you like/want I guess. (Thanks to Jes for teaching me the second way. Jes is the queen of bows.)


The two methods to doing this are the sew/cut method and the hot glue method. For those of us without sewing machines.. I would suggest the glue method. But if you like sewing, then I would say go for it! My two sewed bows are slightly lopsided and also my first two so they are far from perfect. Also, I sewed them by hand. 

Sew method: Cut two pieces of fabric the approximate size you want your bow. Turn them inside out and sew completely around the edges. Once is is like a little pocket you cut a small slice on one side and flip it inside out. Grab some fabric, ribbon or yarn and wrap is around the center. Ta-da!

Glue method: Cut one pieces of fabric that is about 4x the size of bow you want. Fold it in half hamburger way, then fold it in thirds. (This is extremely hard to explain with words... maybe I will make a YouTube video to follow or something.) Glue down the sides so it is a complete square. Pinch the middle and glue all the middle folds down. Wrap the middle once again and.. BOW!

Most of my bows go along with a set of letters. (Letters meaning a shirt/sweatshirt or something with my sorority letters on it.) 

These are just two of MANY examples.

The next crafty project I've done is the actual letters. Two t-shirts to be exact. The one on the right above, in Vera Bradley Marina Paisley, and one that is a doubled letter with lavender and teal polka-dotted patterns. 




I have made MANY many of these shirts, as have every other sorority member (at least at Alma). It is a very simple project once you have the right tools and materials to do it.

You'll need stencils, Heat Bond, fabrics, a t-shirt, fabric scissors and an iron.

All you do it cut a square of fabric large enough to make three (or two, depending on your greek letters) letters.  Iron on a piece of Heat Bond. Draw/trace your letters on to the back of the heat bond -- BACKWARDS! *Very important!* Then cut them out. Once cut, peel the backs off the heat bond and position them on the shirt. Iron for a minute or two or until all corners are not lifting. Let sit for an hour or two and then they are ready to be worn! (Don't wash for about 48 hours to make sure it is firmly set.)

Last but not least, my third project, which is not yet complete... big, fat, foam hanging letters! 

They are still a work in progress, mind you, but they're coming along well. Kayla and I (the best "big," "momma," or Sapphire Sister in the whole wide world) went to Walmart to find something to make hanging letters. We found sheets of foam but weren't sure if they would be enough so we ended up leaving with a big roll of 4 or 5 feet of foam. We drew stencils onto wrapping paper and then copied the stencils over onto the foam. We exacto-bladed and cut the letters of out the foam and began covering them. It turns out it is much lengthier project then we imagined, however, they're original and some of the coolest looking hanging letters I've ever seen!


I'm pretty sure over the past few weeks I have filled my crafting-quota for quite awhile, and definitely gotten enough glue gun burns to last a lifetime.

Keep Calm, Be Crafty and Go Greek!
xoxox






No comments:

Post a Comment