Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Dream a Dream


Everyone has dreams. Dreams while you're sleeping.. reflecting on the days gone by. Dreams that are sad, and bring up old memories and past sorrows. Dreams that are whimsical and full of fantasy. Dreams during the day, while you're wide awake but not paying full attention and dreams of the future. People dream about places they will go, things they will do. They dream about things that they want out of life and people that are or have been apart of it all.

I have a dream. Not different from the way Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., once did. My dream is a personal dream, not a dream for the world (although, those exist in my mind as well.) My dream relates to my career and to my future.

My dream is to be successful, but happy.

You see, I have two career aspirations. They are two very different careers. Two very different jobs, and ways of life.  I see myself doing two things with my professional life.

The first, what I am going to school for. Something that has always come naturally for me... Communications, Marketing and Social Media. To some people that probably seems completely boring and too much of a "desk job." I, however, love communicating with others, and working to help them reach a goal in their life. I enjoy sharing my love for something with others (which is what got me hooked on marketing!) I have worked on yearbook staffs and shared my love of my school, our organizations and my friends all over the pages. When the books were printed and completed, I shared my love with everyone who held it in their hands. I created memories for people, and for that I am happy. I run many, many Facebook groups & pages. I share my love for the organization or company or what-have-you, through Facebook and love to watch peoples reactions and responses. I love the speed of social media, the speed of the interactivity and the short reactions times. I enjoy being connected, networking and talking with people from all over the world. And more than anything else, I love that social media is ever-changing.

I didn't know it then but my love for social media began when I was young, 12 or maybe 13 years young. I always wanted a MySpace and wanted to be connected to my friends. I spent hours configuring my "top friends" and my profile songs, and making sure the HTML code (yes, im serious.) made my sparkling cursor and background show up correctly. Several times, I was told I was too young and my profile was deleted. (Thanks, mom! Stuntin' my career growth..... sheesh.) Each and every time I was persistent, and a little sneaky, and managed to get back on and develop a new profile. A few years later, I was among the first of my friends to join Facebook. I remember having an attitude against it because you could not design a profile and because it was "boring." Look at Facebook now. Facebook has tailored their site to allow some personalizing through the cover photo. It is an organized site and has more than a billion monthly active users.  

With developing my social media career, I have developed and branched out my social networks. I am a member on Facebook, Twitter, Blogger (obviously!), WordPress, Yammer, Vimeo, TweetDeck & Hootsuite (multi-management sites), Pinterest, Flickr, Instagram, FourSquare, Google+, LinkedIn, Youtube and Tumblr. I currently have a Klout score of 61 meaning I am an above-average influencer. I love being connected and love sharing.  One day I hope to do social media for  a company or organization full-time. I am open to exploring other jobs within communications and marketing, and would more than likely enjoy them just as much because it is the connection and communication that excites me.

The second dream is to own a cafe'/bakery. I love being in the kitchen. I could spend hours baking, and dreaming up new ways to present sweet treats. My favorite thing to bake would have to be cupcakes, but I enjoy doing cookies, cakes, cake pops and a wide-variety of other sweet treats as well. I also love coffee. It began with frappuchinos, stemmed out to hot coffee drinks with lots of sugar and now is just a simple cup of coffee. Some of my favorites have always been Starbucks' White Chocolate Mocha, Tim Hortons' Iced Cappuccino, and a cup of Gevalia Columbian brew straight from my Keurig. I could drink 10 cups of coffee a day.

To be able to open a shop where I could be surrounded by two things I love, every single day, would be more than a dream come true. I would want a shop with comfortable seating, and a welcoming atmosphere, where fresh baked goods were cooking in the kitchen and coffee was always brewing. I would offer sweet treats in larger orders, so that they could be sold for parties and other events. I would have a plants and flowers in and around the shop, and bring in live music performers who were trying to find their place in the industry. It would be a place where people came to escape from their crazy lives, and I would go to escape from mine, and it would be a place of sweet bliss.

And that bakery would have some of the best social media sites you could ever imagine. ;)


One day, somehow, someway, I will find a way to blend my dreams together. I will find a way to finance my dreams and to create happiness for others.

Until then, I will continue my search for a summer job making minimum wage.

I guess that's why they call it dreaming.

Dream Big
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment