Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Working Overtime


Time for an internship update! (Now that I am two and a half weeks in!)

The time is absolutely flying by. I cannot believe that I am more than a quarter of the way done already. When my eight weeks are up, I will be so sad to go. I have learned more in two weeks about my career, myself and the City of Detroit than I could ever have imagined. I have made great friends and been apart of so many awesome events in Detroit. One things I have gained ALOT of during this journey is photos. I will be sharing many of them during this blog post :)

Katie, America, Elizabeth, Gena and I at the Tigers Game!

Since beginning my internship, one of the most beneficial things I have learned is in relation to friends and coworkers. It is so important to find what good you bring out in others and also the good they bring out in you. I am lucky to have been placed on a team of creative, intelligent, and all-around happy people. We have similar career aspirations and all have things we can learn from one another. We've already been through quite a bit in two short weeks and will continue to tackle tasks together all summer.

The entire FOCUSed on Imagitivity team from Quicken Loans - -AKA The Unicorns!

Since day one at Quicken Loans, I have been working on all sorts of types of projects. I have done everything from furniture reviews to email templates, finding content and managing social media, and also working on some top-secret stuff. It is a lot of stuff that is fun, creative and very interesting to me, but at the same time, is an essential part of our company and team.

An example of something I have worked on is an Out of the Office template...


Coffee Overload Greetings and thank you for your email.  Unfortunately I will be out of the office on _______________. This morning I learned that six cups of coffee is too much. You know that moment when your hands start trembling and you can feel your heartbeat in every limb of your body? 10 minutes later…..crash, on the floor. Shortly later I was rushed off to the emergency room and had my body pumped of all the caffeine. They drove me home and removed all coffee, mugs and creamer from my house. That being said, if I seem sassy in the coming days please remember I am now operating caffeine-free.
 I will be out of the office from _______ at ______ (E_T) and will return on _______ at ______ (E_T). I will be checking email while out of the office, but if your email needs prompt attention, please forward it to (team member's name) at (team member's FULL email address). You may also call (team member's name) directly using our toll free number of (800) 226-6308, EXT. (team member's extension), or you can reach me by cell phone at (your cell phone number). Otherwise, I look forward to replying to your email when I return.
 If you want to sneak me in some coffee, let me know! If not, I understand. I think it is time to find a new vice.
  
Thank you and have an amazing day!  Over and out.

 Yeah... I love my job. I get to do creative writing, social media, some marketing and planning and totally embrace fun in the workplace and downtown Detroit.

Speaking of downtown.. all of the events Quicken send their interns to.... amazing!

Last Tuesday I attending the Gilbert Awards, which is pretty much an award show for Quicken Loans employee honors. It was a "black tie" affair held at the Opera House. It was a great way to meet more team members and just spend some time together out of the office.

Gena and I at the Gilbert Awards!


Last Friday the Imagitivity team boarded a bus and spent the afternoon touring art studios and galleries all over Detroit. We visited Russel Street Industrial Center, The Pioneer Building, Pewabic Pottery, and  Re:View gallery. We met many artists and got their take on art and Detroit. It was a great way to see more of the city and also experience lots of art and get inspired!

Last night I was given tickets to the Tigers baseball game! Not only was I given tickets but I was invited to a dinner at Hockeytown before hand and paid to attend the event. What other company can do that?

Today I was taken on another bus tour around Detroit, but this time focusing on Detroit landmarks, not art. We drove past many, many key points in Detroit and were able to spend some time on The Riverfront, in Midtown -- Avalon Bakery!, at D:Hive building, and on the streets of the Heidelberg project! It was extremely interesting to see all of these "hot spots" and learn more about the history of Detroit.

The Imagitivity girls at the Riverfront! 

  
More photos from the bus tour. (Left - D:Hive) and (Right - Heidelberg)

Aside from all of the organized events I've been apart of, I have also done some exploring myself. One of my favorite places to spend time during the day is Campus Martius.


The other day I was fortunate enough to be walking back from lunch just in time to run into Jesse Jackson. Yes, THE Jesse Jackson. Check it out!




We also have a lot of fun within our office and in our workspaces.





I know this post makes my work seem like all fun and games, and while sometimes I think so too, it is hard work. A typical work day for me is about 7:30-5. That doesn't include the half hour (give or take) commute down and then the 15 minutes I spend shuttling over and getting up to my floor. It makes for a long work day. Due to all of the events we've been attending, I've been working close to 50 hours each week (which is great since we can make overtime pay!) This is the reason I have not been able to blog more in-depth or more frequently during my internship. By the time I get home I scarf down dinner, shower, try to get an hour or two to spend time with family and friends and then I'm headed to bed pretty early. Its pretty much an "eat, sleep, repeat" process. 

In the next few days we have several more events and I will be sure to keep everyone updated on what we are working on. Until then, you can also view my photos on Facebook. I try to upload those as I take them!

Time for Bed!
xoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment