Thursday, June 13, 2013

Engineered to Amaze


I apologize for it being a few weeks since I've had anything to say on here. In reality, I've had lots to say and no time to say it. Tonight I found a few minutes to sit down, conveniently while I'm waiting for my highlights to set at the hair salon. I feel like every time I get free time, I end up being busier than ever during that time. But brace yourselves...I've got lots to say. 

June 10th 2013 will forever be a day for the history books. 

Not only did I turn a whopping 20 years old.. But two other amazing things came into my life and were the best birthday presents I could've ever asked for. I began an internship of a lifetime (at least 3 days in it is .. Ask me again in 8 weeks!) I am working with the Focused on Imaginitivity team at Quicken Loans. I am still adjusting to having a commute, which takes me between 20 and 45 minutes, depending on the time, weather and traffic. I am working out of the Chrysler House (formerly Dime) building in Downtown Detroit. My office is on the 20th floor with a view over to Canada. We have a break room with popcorn, slush machines, coffee and cappuccinos and all sorts of snacks. The walls are "writable" like full sized white boards. It is truly unreal until you're in it everyday. 

On my first full day of work I toured all of the buildings in Detroit that Quicken or one of the sister companies (Bedrock, Title Source, Fathead etc.) are located in. I learned the ins and outs of One Woodward, One Detroit, Compuware, Chrysler House, First National Building, the Chase building (Qube!) and the M@dison building. I feel like I've been in Detroit my whole life by the way I can already navigate the city. 

The second day of work I began doing furniture reviews because the team I am apart of designs the spaces that Quicken Loans owns. I sat in chairs and couches while rating and critiquing them. I also wrote up some historical profiles on the buildings we toured the day before. I could not have asked for a more interesting position or place to get an internship.

On my team we all have quirky nicknames or job titles. Mine is Abstract Glitter Consultant. I am still getting the hang of the position and all it entails but I will be sure to let you know.



Second major event of my 20th birthday.... We (my family) closed on a new house. In just a few weeks we will be packing up and heading to Grosse Ile! This change will be bittersweet, but change is good and life goes on. The house is beautiful and the yard is huge. It is located right on the canal that runs through the island, so we have water to look out on in the backyard!

I will try my best to post updates as the move unfolds.

For now, I am going to take a nap because working 9 hour days plus the commute is draining me and I need to work on adjusting to it. What better way to adjust then sleep?

Zzzzzz....
xoxox


No comments:

Post a Comment